I finished the skirt I wanted to make from the tablecloth I bought some weeks ago.
I didn’t measure my waist for the skirt itself, because I already had a given line where I had to cut because of the hole in the middle section, which was causing a larger circle to cut out than my waist would have done. That means that the final length was given, too and it shouldn’t have been any shorter.
To fit the skirt to my waist, I gathered the fabric into pleats while attaching the waistband. I cut the circle to insert a seam with a zipper in the centre back. I know that you can insert a zipper without opening the complete length of the skirt, but it never came out as I wanted it and the fabric is so thin and frays very easily, so I decided against it.
Because the fabric was transparent I lined it with a cream coloured lining I had in stock. I had to cut two half circles for the lining, because I was running out of fabric. I didn’t want to have side seams in the skirt, but the zipper in the centre back, so I had to cut one of the lining half circles in half again.
To form the waistband I had nothing but the circle I cut from the middle. I cut three straps each 3,5cm in width, applied fusible interfacing and merged them into one long waistband. Because I didn’t want to waste anything of the fabric on the inside, I used some old bias binding for this. Well, and then I made a stupid mistake: The straps were around 40cm in length each. I didn’t want to use only two, even though it would have been enough, but that would have caused me a seam in the centre front (only now I realize that I could have solved the problem with making side seams and a side zipper, but now it’s too late). So I cut three, as much as I could without having any bits of embroidery on the waistband, and planned to cut the waistband on both ends, so the two seams wouldbe placed somewhere around my kidney, besides the zipper.
So much about planning. What I did was ironing the future and turned over waistband in half, chose the cleaner end of the bias binding inside (the other end had a little frayed on the edges because it was lying in my sewing basket without any wrapping) and cut the desired length. And of cause I realized my mistake in that very moment! Well, too late, I had no more fabric to made another waistband and now the seam is only slightly off the centre front.
But I planned to wear it with a belt anyway.
Here you can see the embroidery:
(yes, I should have dropped my camera and yes, the case is too large for the camera inside)
Well, the rest is not very interesting. I attached the upper fabric and the lining at the same time, the lining without pleats in the waist (so I had to calculate the circle cutout at last), finished the hem with a rolled seam (the upper fabric has an embroidered scalloped edge, so I had no work on that one) and closed the waistband with two little hooks and eyes.
(the zipper’s end is normally hidden by flap, I don’t know if I didn’t close it properly or if it undid itself)
And that’s it, a simple circle skirt.
(blouse: lifetime; shoes: Dosenbach, fragrance: Nina Ricci – L’air du Temps)
See you soon, love